“Virtual Meetings and Time Zone Treatment!” RADIO SHOW/AUDIO PODCAST Solutions...with Courtney Anderson! (SwCA) Episode 220 - Originally aired 11/24/2014 9:00 AM - MEETING MAYHEM! series
This episode is, “Virtual Meetings and Time Zone Treatment!"
In this show we discuss A Stone* of Solutions™ including:
1. Earth is our home planet.
2. We have colleagues, clients, customers, vendors, partners and knowledge experts located around our planet that we need to have meetings with!
3. Due to the physical size of our planet and the rotation of it and other bodies in our solar system, we experience different conditions at the same moment (daylight, darkness, etc.).
4. How many times zones now? "Given a 24-hour day and 360 degrees of longitude around the Earth, it is obvious that the world's standard time zones have to be 15 degrees wide, on average. It is worth mentioning that some sources claim there are 24 standard time zones, while others say there are 25 time zones. The perspective of the number of time zones depends on the definition of a time zone versus the International Date Line." http://www.timeanddate.com/time/time-zones-history.html
5. What? 24 or 25 different time zones is too many!
6. It could be worse. There used to be over 300 time zones in the US alone!
7. Why bother? Who needs people in different time zones in a meeting?If you don't want clients, customers, vendors, partners or any other opportunities outside 'your' time zone, then that is your choice. It is potentially going to harm your organization (regarding growth, talented labor, etc.). It is a choice.
8. If you decide you do want to explore the best of what the planet has to offer for your organizational meetings (clients, talent, experts, etc.),how do you do so most effectively?
9. DO NOT:
- State that "it is only one person in that time zone" (so they have to attend at 3 am or else not come at all).
- Exclude diverse time zone attendees entirely from the meeting because "it is too much hassle" (we'll just [...]