RADIO SHOW/AUDIO PODCAST
Solutions...with Courtney Anderson! (SwCA)
Episode 238 -
Originally aired 12/18/2014 9:00 AM -
MANAGEMENT MAGICIANS series -
“That's Not Part of My Job!”
"Right Click" Link Above and "Save-As" to Download to Your Computer!
YOU DID IT!
Solutions...with Courtney Anderson! (SwCA) has tens of thousands of downloads in over 40 countries and is growing! This is one of the fastest-growing global business podcasts! I am host Courtney E. Anderson and I have been featured as a business and legal expert for numerous media outlets including BusinessWeek, CNN - HLN, Cosmopolitan, MSNBC, USA Today, FOX News, CNN International, The Wall Street Journal and many more...
This show is a dream come true for me as I am able to share my lifetime of experience with dedicated and passionate community members around the world. Thank you!
To subscribe to the podcast, please use the links below:
Subscribe via iTunes
Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
I DO NEED YOUR HELP:
- Please leave your rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show and its ranking in iTunes!
- Leave your rating and review on Stitcher by clicking here .
- PLEASE SUPPORT THE SHOW BY COMPLETING OUR DEMOGRAPHIC SURVEY AT LIBSYN!
TALK SHOW EPISODE NOTES
Our MANAGEMENT MAGICIANS™ series is dedicated to those exceptional few who step forward to serve as guides, sages and responsible parties for others in pursuit of the greater good for society and their organization! These are managers who redefine their job titles to ensure their own personal contentment as they motivate, monitor and mentor their team members each day.
The “magic” that a talented manager is able to create changes their lives, the lives of their team members and ripples throughout the larger society. We salute their sacrifices and share their techniques and “secrets” to achieving sustained positive experiences for themselves, clients, customers, peers, team members, and the public at large!
In this episode, our topic is, “That is Not Part of My Job!”
In this show we discuss A Stone* of Solutions™ including:
3. It is.
4. “Why "That's Not Part of My Job" Should be Banished From Your Vocabulary […] Supervisors, bosses, even co-workers appreciate team players. If you immediately deny assistance to someone who asks for your help, you come off as unkind, selfish, and possibly even lazy. A supervisor may interpret your response to mean that you care more about your own workload than the overall success of the company. This will not win you any favors. In fact, the next time you ask for one, you may find your favor account overdrawn.”
5. There are people who would be grateful for this job.
6. You are selfish.
7. A team member should be focused on how much they can do instead of how little they must do.
8. "And other duties as assigned..."
9. When an individual uses this title it tells you everything that you need to know about a team member.
10. Unless, are they accurate?
11. From the BBC, “That’s not my job! How do you decide whether something is OK? “Context is everything,” said Philadelphia-based talent management consultant Mary Schaefer in an email. “It depends on your relationship and the pattern of behaviour so far. First, do you want to do it? Second, does it appear your boss has no other choice than to ask you? Third, what are the probable consequences for you if you don’t?””
12. Are you being taken advantage of?
13. Are you treated like other team members (or are you singled out)?
14. There is a line (everything is not part of your job!).
Let's discuss what is, and what isn't, part of your job!
*A stone is unit of measure equaling 14 pounds (so we have 14 elements in our one stone of solutions!).
RELATED TELEVISION TALK SHOWS/